Zeitgeist

This is all about spirit of the contemporary times.....ramblings on everything,well almost everything...from MBA tips to Economics and Politics,Movies and Comic, this is a melting pot for the brainwaves...

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Bodybuilding and contemporary youth

To be precise, it happened circa 2001-02, when me, like most of my adolescent brothers, decided to build big muscles and develop a good physique. There were a lot of ‘powders’ and supplements available in the market at that time. One of my very close friends almost persuaded me to try some magic pills and powder to build muscle quickly. Needless to say that I had almost given in to them, if would not have been for my coach at that time in the gym.
That was my 10+2 standard. After that, I went to Engg College and finally am an MBA. Recently I have started going to the same gym that I used to go earlier. I saw a change in the ‘demographic profile’ of the gymmers there. Majority now comprises of young boys of 13-16 yrs of age. Needless to day that I feel a bit older than what I really am! Neways, today itself, I met a 14 something Salman Khan Wannabe, pumping his way to glory on the bench press. After doing away with that, he came to me and asked about the type of supplement I use. Quite taken aback at his question, I suggested him against the so called ‘powders’ and capsules. He gave me an astonished look like I had created some kind of blasphemy! He told triumphantly that his coach had recommended to him certain ‘creatine’- a form of protein supplement capsules and Mega Mass Muscle building powder. I went over to the coach (he is some new fellow) and asked him about that. He told me quite matter of factly about the rising trend among the teenagers, esp. boys, to build muscles rapidly, without putting in too many efforts. So the era of fast results-less hard work (smart work?) has caught up here too.
Only recently had I seen a lot of TV programs dedicated to the same issue which I today witnessed in the gym. Youngsters have started copying the new sleeker looking Shahrukh, Saif and host of other idiot box churned ramp-model lookalike stars. There seems to be a regular hammering from all kinds of media on the impressionable minds of young boys to build cool bods to attract opposite sex and look cool! Nothing wrong with it, but as with most of the western adopted and locally adapted fads, we Indians tend to blunder here too. I you want to really see this, just visit a nearby Gym and see the 13-19 years old boys hogging the coach over latest supplements and Whey protein diets available in the market. These diet supplements were meant for serious/professionals some years ago. But incorporating in our regular diets is neither advisable nor healthy. Since these trivial pursuits are taking most of the time and mind space of the young blood, I wonder whether they get enough time for sports or other so called ‘old time activities’.
Also, a lot of advertisements have been focusing on the lean-mean kind of macho looks for the males. But someone has to stand up for the fertile minds of young generation getting really spoiled by these provocative commercials. And to add to that, there will be (if not already underway) a tremendous psychological pressure on the plump/baby fat bestowed youngsters, who will start feeling outclassed. It all had already happened in the western country. Teenage anxieties and growing blues just got more complicated. But I am not here for criticizing the establishment or the system. What I want to convey to my younger generation is the importance of overall physical development and mental sharpening in their prime age. As we all know (if not, just Google- whey proteins+creatine+side effects) the long term side effects of these short cut formulas to have a muscular body, there need to be a sense of awareness amongst us so that we can guide our younger brothers/sisters/cousins etc. Also, as with some of the cases I had been personally privy to, youngsters tend to take Steroids once they find even the Dietary Supplements a tad slower!
Only way out seems to me is the awareness of the harmful and long term debilitating side effects of this ‘stuff’. It includes uncommon physical developments, brittle bones, kidney problems and a plethora of other ailments in the later life. Also, once you have stopped working out regularly, the body tends to shrink and muscles slump.
A better way is to play, cycle and run along with some gym activities. In the prime growing age for boys, from 13- 19, there should not be more emphasis on gymming, as muscles and bones are naturally growing and weight-resistance exercise tend to produce counter results more often than not.
Neways, when that same boy comes to me, he sure is in store for a long lecture!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home